For information on summer assessments, including grading and appeals, please click here
For information on GCSE English and maths November 2021 resits, please click here.

Proposed College Merger - click here for information 

Entry Requirements

Candidates should ideally have completed a Level 3 qualification or above in construction or the built environment, either academic or trade based. It is also suitable for candidates who have been to University or those with no formal qualifications, but a good level of English and experience of working in the sector.

Who is the course for

Candidates who want to be recognised in the industry by achieving a formal qualification and those who are looking to, or are already, working in a more senior/management role within a company. As this is a level 4 unit of a HNC program, it is particularly desirable for candidates who are not currently in a position to study a full HNC, due to work, financial or personal commitments, but are able to study these units a bite sized chunks, part time. The units can then count towards a full HNC in Construction and the Built Environment (8 units) if they decide to continue with their studies.

Why consider HN Flex?: A recent survey carried out by the West London Institute of Technology (WLIoT) in conjunction with the West London Alliance, London Ecomimic Recovery Board and Feedback and Pearson (Awarding Body for higher level BTEC programmes) itself, has shown that there is a significant skills shortage in this sector, especially in construction practice and management. Furthermore,, employers are often unable to meet the demands of their staff to attend full HNC programmes in one go, but welcome these bite size part time units to overcome this issue, making staff training more affordable with little or no effect on their work practices. In addition, these HN Flex units not only give staff recognition and improve their work efficiencies, but they can also be used for CPD and to meet training requirements identified through yearly staff appraisals. It has been proven over the years that relevant timely training has the overall benefits of maintaining a motivated, skilled workforce, up to date work practices, increased efficiencies and staff retention.

Course Content

The aim of this unit is to develop and provide students with a holistic understanding of construction practice and management processes. In addition, students will explore Building Information Modelling and how it fits into construction processes/sequences ranging from domestic to large-scale and design and build projects. The knowledge from this unit will provide students with an understanding of modern construction and management; the skills, management of people and projects, and how Health & Safety have changed the perception of the construction industry.

Learning Objectives:

LO1 - Describe the construction industry with reference to company structures and other activities:

• Understanding of the construction industry:
  • Historical development of the construction industry
  • Professional and other institutes, including societies Links between professional, technical and skills professionals
  • Contractor and head office structure Site structure and organisation Types of contractual work tendered by companies.

LO2 - Explain different types of construction companies in the market and their relationships within the tendering process:

• Company types
  • Professional relationships between companies
  • Contract tendering
  • Tender process.

LO3 - Discuss the key stages in a construction project, and how Building Information Modelling informs the different stages:

• Master programmes and contract planning techniques
  • The role of Building Information Modelling (BIM) on the construction Modern procurement methods within construction
  • Sustainability.

LO4 Analyse how the construction industry has developed suitable collaboration strategies in support of greater recognition of Health & Safety:

• Key stakeholders in the construction process
  • BIM and collaboration
  • Health & safety within the construction industry:
  • Pre-construction regulations and legislation
  • Site safety.

Study Methods

Lectures, case studies and professional discussions

How is the course assessed

Your assignment(s) will be graded as Pass, medit or Distinction.

Where next - Further Studies

Additional HN Flex units, HNC in Construction and the Built Environment or other qualifications in the sector:

• Level 4 Certificate and Diploma in Construction Site Management,
  • BSc Civil Engineering
  • BSc Building Surveying
  • BA/BSc Quantity Surveying.

Where next - Job Opportunities

Various in the Construction and Built Environment sector.

More Information

The first 9 weeks will consist of theory sessions which will support you in completing your assignment. The following 3 weeks will then be used by the tutors to mark, provide feedback and internally verify the work. Please note that if required, during this 3 week period, you will be given the opportunity to resubmit your work in order to achieve a pass. In line with Pearson’s verification timelines, the final accreditation will be awarded in June/July 2022, following their assessment/verification visit.

PLEASE NOTE If you have made an application between 17 July and 22 August, Sanjay will contact you on his return to the office from 23 August onwards.

How to Apply

To apply for a course choose one of these methods:

• Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
  • Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.

When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.

Courses

case study image

WILLIAM

Everyone is friendly and the teaching is very good. I enjoy my practical lessons and the work experience opportunities given to me. I am hoping to get into a plumbing apprenticeship after my course. The facilities for my course are very good, they have everything we need to learn for the practical aspects of our course.

case study image

BRADLEY

The tutors and staff here are excellent and the College is not just a good place to study in but to be around in general. My practical and theory lessons are extremely helpful and enjoyable at the same time. I’d like to thank my teachers for helping me learn and achieve in the trade I love. They have been very supportive not just in class, but even during lockdown, ensuring I was up to date with my work and also checking if I was ok in general– which is very important as well. The facilities for plumbing are good and always equipped for all. I would definitely recommend the College, joining here has been the best decision I’ve ever made.