UAL Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology (Game Design)
5 GCSEs grade 9-4 (grade A*- C) preferably including both English & maths or a relevant Level 2 qualification at merit or above. You will attend an interview at the College and if necessary references will be taken up. You will also be required to provide a piece of written work relating to games or animation plus a sketchbook or other examples of artwork.
If successful at interview we will offer you a place on the course and you may be invited to a taster session at the college prior to enrolment. In some cases, you may also be asked to complete a small project and return for a second interview.
Who is the course for
This course is for those who wish to work in the games industry in a creative capacity, developing original game concepts, characters, environments and narratives. The course is designed to introduce pre-production and production processes related to these areas through a variety of coursework projects.
This is a full-time two year course, although there is an option to study a Diploma for one year.
Throughout the course, you will learn about the structure of the games and animation industries, as well as job roles within these. You will also undertake research and pre-production techniques which will inform the development of character and environment artwork, 2D animation, 3D models and animation, audio, narratives, game design documents and fully-playable game prototypes using industry-standard software tools and practices. First year (Diploma) units include;
- Introduction to media processes and technical skills
- Introduction to design and research skills in creative media production
- Introduction to professional practice in creative media production
- Critical and contextual awareness
- Investigating audio production and technology
- Investigating visual production and technology
- Investigating interactive media production and technology
- Developing a creative media production project.
Second year (Extended Diploma) units include;
- Characteristics and contexts in media and communication
- Engaging with an audience in creative media production
- Preparing for progression in creative media production
- Specialist study in creative media production
- Extended project in creative media production (Level 3)
- Extended project in creative media production (Level 4).
Students will work on all aspects of game design working from concept art, story and character development, through to 3D animation and modelling. They will develop all aspects of games including soundtracks and 2D animation.
How is the course assessed
Continual assessment across a broad range of project briefs through regular feedback and action planning in both practical and written assignments.
Where next - Further Studies
Students completing the first year Diploma may continue onto the second year extended Diploma. After completing the Extended Diploma students will have the equivalent of 3 A Levels. The majority of students completing the course go on to study an animation or game design-related course at university.
Where next - Job Opportunities
This course is nationally recognised by the games industry and, with an appropriate portfolio of work, could lead to junior positions in art, animation or design. There is also the potential for positions in the animation, film and television industries using similar skills gained on the course.
Last updated: 31 October 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.