BTEC Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma in Applied Science
5 GCSEs grade 9-4 (grade A- C) preferably including both English & maths plus core and additional science or a relevant Level 2 qualification at merit or above and GCSE maths at grade 9-4 (grade A-C) and GCSE English at grade 9-3 (grade A*-D). If necessary references may be taken up.
Who is the course for
This exciting course is suitable for students with a strong interest in a practical approach to biological and chemical sciences.
Course units include:
- Fundamentals of science
- Working in the science industry
- Scientific investigation
- Scientific practical techniques
- Perceptions of science
- Application of numbers for science technicians
- Mathematics for science technicians
- Physiology of human body systems
- Medical physics techniques
- Forensic psychology
- Criminal psychology
- Criminal investigation procedures.
The course involves taught lessons, practical classes, portfolio building sessions and workshops. Students are expected to work on their coursework outside their timetabled classes.
How is the course assessed
Some units are assessed by coursework which is internally marked and externally moderated. Students take two externally-examined units each year.
Where next - Further Studies
Progress from the Foundation Diploma to the Extended Diploma in Applied Science. After completing the Extended Diploma, progress onto a higher education course.
Where next - Job Opportunities
It is also possible to progress into employment in a science-related industry.
Last updated: 31 October 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.