Services for schools
The Government’s expectation is that schools and colleges will begin to work towards the Gatsby benchmarks. There are 8 benchmarks which constitute ‘good practice’ in career guidance for schools and colleges, they are:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each student
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
Uxbridge College is now offering a range of new services to local schools for students in Years 10, 11, 12 and 13. The College offer can be linked to the Gatsby Benchmarks as well as support the school to meet their commitment to the Technical and Further Education Bill's amendment passed in the House of Lords in February 2017 by Lord Baker.
We provide support to learners to progress from schools to further education and apprenticeships. We encourage awareness of the many career opportunities available to young people and the vocational or academic qualification route they may need to take to succeed in their chosen career.
College staff can assist and work with schools to:
• Provide vocational advice and guidance
• Collaborate during Careers Events and Parents’ Evenings
• Arrange visits to college for individual learners and/or groups
• Organise workshops at the College or in your school for specific subject areas allowing students to get ‘hands on’ experience
• Work with young people who are not in education, employment or training (NEET).
Parents Evening and Careers fair - Our staff can attend Parents Evenings, Careers Fairs and Year 11 options evenings in your school, to offer advice and guidance to learners, their parents and guardians.
Tour for learners and teachers - Our staff are on hand to offer bespoke tours of the College to your staff, learners and their parents. This often helps learners to get a feel for how studying in a college might be like and we will help you advise your learners appropriately.
Taster days - We hold taster days throughout the year to engage learners. Taster days can be a half or full day depending on your school timetable and requirements, and most subject areas are available.
Presentation and talks – Our industry experienced staff can come into your school and deliver informative presentations to teachers, learners and their parents/ guardians. We understand time can be an issue so we can also deliver presentations at a time and place that suits you.
CPD for teachers - Throughout the year our staff host a range of events for teachers and careers advisers. These events are a great opportunity to visit the College, view facilities and hear from vocational teaching teams on the options available to young people.
Our Senior Leadership Team is also available to deliver sessions on new policy developments in education, such as T Levels, Institute of Technology, SEND etc.